Completely scrumplicious Caxton!

I was invited out for a gorgeous dinner tonight, and I give it 4.75 stars![why not the complete 5 I'll explain later].

I have been wanting to go the Caxton for ages, since dec 2007. However, something always came up and prevented us [us = whoever was with me at that time, which comes up to quite a few different people]

This time, it worked! We got there. We had a completely gorgeous meal. The caxton grill was quite a pretty place, and the staff were generally polite and helpful.

I decided to be lavish and order oyster shooters. For my sister, Liz's benefit, oyser shooters are fresh oysters in little shot-glasses with Bloody Mary [tomato juice and alcohol]. They were really nice. I am not a big fan of oysters like some ppl I know, but to 'skull' Bloody Marys and lemon juice with the oyster was really really good!

Next, we ordered New York Sirloing steak[thick steak at least an inch thick]. This came with chips/baked potato, salad, freshly made Hollandaise sauce [cream and eggs], mushroom sauce as a side, and crowning glory of Moreton Bay Bugs and prawns.

  • The steak was done as required, beautifully medium rare. Deep pink, but not runny or bloody. Most restaurants never get it quite right. It was flavoursome and full of texture.
  • The MB Bug[a kind of shell fish that's like crab, Liz] was one of the best i've eaten. The flesh was sweet and fresh and abundant. VERY GOOD!
  • Chips ....the best i've had for a long time. Crisp and Flavoursome. the baked potato was good too. Very soft. Went excellently with the sauces.
  • Hollandaise and Mushroom sauces were quite unique tasting for such generic sauce-types. The mushroom was especially good and had a nice, winey, garlicky flavour.

2 let downs

  • One of the prawns I had was not too fresh.
  • The music from the pub upstairs was pounding like crazy. Not the quiet night out that some would like.

BUT, I must say it was well worth the money[though I didn't pay...thank you:)].

Highly recommended.

Comments

Liz said…
Thanks for the lil explainations..And i started reading ur blog after u sent that e-mail notifying us about ur blogs..Haha..

Popular Posts